The effects of the herbal prescription youkongdan (YKD) on memory performance of rodents following cerebral ischemia/reperfusion and scopolamine administration were measured and compared to the age-related changes in mRNA expression induced by dietary supplementation of YKD. Following ischemia, YKD decreased neuronal cell loss in the CA1 region of rat hippocampus by 89% relative to controls. YKD improved the water maze performance of both ischemic and scopolamine-treated animals. Dietary administration of YKD resulted in significant modulation of Egr1, Grp78, Hsp86, SOD1, and alphaB crystallin mRNA expression and a trend toward increased exploratory behavior in older mice.
Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine
What’s New at Jaseng
- Officials of Beyoglu district of Turkey visit Jaseng
- Jaseng International Conference 2018. Present and Future of Non-Invasive Treatment for Spine and Joint
- Michigan State University HRLR students visit Jaseng Hospital of Korean
- Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine launches global medical education platform ‘Jaseng Medical Academy’
- “Be assured of receiving safe treatment.” Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine designated as a public relief hospital