The effects of the herbal prescription youkongdan (YKD) on memory performance of rodents following cerebral ischemia/reperfusion and scopolamine administration were measured and compared to the age-related changes in mRNA expression induced by dietary supplementation of YKD. Following ischemia, YKD decreased neuronal cell loss in the CA1 region of rat hippocampus by 89% relative to controls. YKD improved the water maze performance of both ischemic and scopolamine-treated animals. Dietary administration of YKD resulted in significant modulation of Egr1, Grp78, Hsp86, SOD1, and alphaB crystallin mRNA expression and a trend toward increased exploratory behavior in older mice.
Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine
What’s New at Jaseng
- International healthcare professionals from US, China and Japan Visit Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine
- Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine hosts medical service trips for patients in Kyrgyzstan
- Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine Gives Lectures on Korean Medicine at the 15th International Conference on the History of Science in East Asia
- Accredited by the ACCME, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine will provide continuing medical education for physicians
- Zhejiang College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Visit Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine